Sunday, August 7, 2011

Back to School!

School started back this past Monday - we now have a 5th and 1st grader in the house!  This will be the last time they are at the same school...gulp...unless they are ever at a K-12 grade school.  They were so excited to organize their back packs with supplies!  And, making lunches for them was fun the first day - I love the smell of new lunch boxes! 

Getting back on a school schedule is always refreshing.  I took them to school the first day knowing that Jake would NOT want me to take him to his classroom, but that I would be sneaking by his class to take a peek!  I was looking forward to walking Drew to his room, however, he told me very confidently that he did NOT want me going with him in his classroom!  Wow, we have grown up since Kindergarten.  My face must have seemed very sad because he changed his mind and said, "OK, I guess you can come"...I asked no questions and went right with him!  He also stopped me when I was packing his snack to remind me that his teacher only wants him to pack a healthy snack like fruit or veggies.  Wow again, pretty cool stuff for our little sweet tooth!  When I started going through the fridge with recommendations, he quickly came back with, "I'll just take a granola bar."  Fruit or veggie?????

The boys will be riding the bus most mornings and we will pick them up in the afternoons.  We tried it out on the second day of school.  I did not ride the bus to school as a child because the school I attended did not offer it.  Jason rode the bus right up to high school.  So, I have been a little anxious about the bus thing.  Two things that are helping me is that their bus only picks up for their elementary school and has just two stops after Jake & Drew get on before getting to school.  We met their bus driver the first day, Mr. Mitchell.  And, guess who got right on the bus with them??  I just had to meet Mr. Mitchell and check everything out!  So far, so good.  The boys have some funny stories and even asked if they could ride the bus home - are you kidding me?!

So, now Emily Ann and I have lots of girl time on our hands!  She went right to work and organized an all girls club in her room...guess who got invited?!  That would be one of her biggest fans...Me!  First she prepared tea for us in her "kitchen."  We sat and sipped our water tea from her tiny tea cups and talked about all sorts of girl stuff.  We even had a short Bible study and prayer...yep, her Mama had to find a way to have some spiritual time with her girl!  Later we played school in her room - notice all of the girls lined up...



And, we even had time to do some painting...  She wanted to paint the letter "H." 

School is back in for the Burgess household! 


1 comment:

Tara said...

Love the beginning of school stories! And what precious girl time for you and Emily Ann!