Monday, February 21, 2011

Antigua, Guatemala: Day 1

"A Father of the fatherless and a champion of widows is God in his holy dwelling." Psalm 68:5
We arrived in Guatemala City and made the hour long drive up and over mountains to the city of Antigua around midnight Saturday.  I must admit the difference in culture is pretty overwhelming. The condition and enviroment that the people live in here is hard to put into words.  I am typing this in the courtyard of where we are staying.  The place we are staying is by no means to the level of comfort we experience in American motels, but it is night and day difference of those living literally 100 feet from where I sit.  There is a big wall that seperates where we are and some houses that are not as stable and comfortable as our worst barns in America.  This is humbling.  I can't help but ask, what did I do to be sitting and sleeping on this side of the wall?  It isn't like I had anything to do with where I was born and raised.  Better yet, what did I do to deserve to have a relationship with my Creator?  Our group leader made the comment this evening about looking at all the disease and poverty here and think about how we are diseased and bankrupt spiritually.  A better question I can ask is not, why am I on "this side of the wall" but, what is my response to God's grace and mercy to placing me here?  The Word tells us "to much is given, much is expected."

Tomorrow we go out to minister and witness to orphans and others in need.  He is the Father to the fatherless.

I pray that the rooster that crowed all last night will at least wait until closer to daylight for his wake up call. 

What is your response to being on "this side of the wall?"


No comments: