Sunday, July 31, 2011

Head Coverings & Apologies

Our pastor is preaching through 1 Corinthians.  Last Sunday he taught 1 Cor. 11:2-16.  The point of the message was the spiritual symbolism of a head covering for us ladies.  For married women, our head covering is our husband.  For some women that just brings out our rebellious spirit.  But for others, who have learned the protection and freedom in that, it is a wonderful thing.  How grateful I am to have a godly husband as my "head covering."

So...I was tested this week.  I guess I needed to not just hear this message but learn it through a real live field trip.  Bless my heart - I was indeed humbled by my selfish, ugly attitude.  I will spare the embarrassing details other than I had a very bad attitude toward a sales clerk because I did not understand the return policy.  As soon as I got into my car, I called Jason to rant.  I'm so embarrassed. :(  He put me in my place and I needed it.  It took me about 30 minutes of anger and frustration and arguing with God but I knew what I should do.  Would I do what a Christian lady who loves the Lord and loves her husband and his leadership should do???  Isn't asking God's forgiveness and admitting to Jason that he was right enough?  How. hard. it. would. be.  I want to be clear here that Jason did not tell me I should apologize - he just let me know that my attitude was wrong.

I drove back to the store and apologized face to face with the lady.  God was merciful because she happened to be outside - so my walk of shame did not have to enter the store.  Uggh...that was tough.  But necessary, and I felt much better.  Felt so much better that I began to think of anyone else I needed to apologize to - Seriously, God? 

I am tremendously grateful for Jason and for a church that teaches the truths of God's Word so well.  Cooperative worship is so necessary in my spiritual walk.  I need that weekly time for reflection and redirection to get my mind and heart in alignment with my Heavenly Father's will.

No comments: